Monday, March 16, 2009

Sick in the Head - Part 2

We're now on Day 6 of the Borders sickness. Ben got it last Wednesday, I succumbed on Thursday and Heath held out until Sunday. Fortunately, it seems Ben got the mildest version. He's been coughing and sneezing and his nose is totally congested, but he's been in good spirits. Taking naps has been a bit of an issue, I assume because of the congestion, but he hasn't been any grumpier than usual. I feel so bad for him, though, not knowing what's happening. He has scratches all over his nose and I think it's because he's trying to rip it off so he can breath. And I hate to take his pacifier away at a time like this, since it provides comfort, but every so often he spits it out and then takes huge gasping breaths. Everything I've read says colds usually last 7-10 days in infants, so hopefully he'll start to improve this week.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday sucked. Saturday wasn't as bad, because I had Heath to pick up the slack, but taking care of Ben all day when I was sick was torture. Especially since he was only taking 30 minute naps. I would lay down to rest and just as I finally began to drift off he'd wake up. There were several times I felt so awful I almost burst into tears, but I knew that would only make my headache worse. I should've asked Heath to say home from work, I know, but it's one of those hindsight things. I never realize how bad I felt until I feel better again. Which I do, for the most part. My nose is still stuffy and I have a bit of a cough, but I'm at about 90%.

Heath is sleeping it off right now, staying home from work. I guess this is how it's going to be from now on. Sickness will rip through this household like... something really easy to rip. I just hope it'll continue to stagger, so Heath and I can pick up the pieces when the other topples over from exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment