Thursday, February 5, 2009

I love to laugh... Ha! ha! ha! ha!

All week Ben has been practicing his laughing. For a few months now he's been going, "huh, huh, huh," which sounds like fake laughter, but which I actually think is his place holder for real laughter. And this week he's really been trying to break the "laugh barrier."

Tuesday morning he added a new dimension to his laughing. At first I actually thought he was getting sick, because he was coughing for 15 seconds at a time. But then I realized he was fake coughing and mixing it in with "huh, huh, huh." I'm not sure why he associated coughing with laughing, but I think it's here to stay.

The amazing thing to me is that I think he's realized this combination makes me laugh and now he does it on purpose. I've noticed a few times that he'll start the cough-laugh, then stop and look at me for my reaction. When he sees I'm amused he'll start up again. The boy is only 5 months old! It blows me away that he's capable of that kind of thinking.

A few days ago he was sitting in his bouncy chair and I produced his Beanie Baby dog. He loves that dog and when he saw it in my hands he broke into a huge grin and went "huh, huh, huh, cough, cough, cough" for a good 30 seconds. There was a look of pure joy on his face unmatched by anything an adult could produce. And seeing that look on his face was worth all the poop pants in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment