Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stranger Danger!

I think we're entering the stranger anxiety phase of Ben's first year. Apparently most kids go through it, once they realize who they know and who they don't know. Ben's usually okay with someone else holding him, as long as he can see Heath or me, but taking him to the YMCA has become a bit of a trial.

I signed up at the beginning of April, but have only been going sporadically. Last Monday I decided to get my butt in gear because it seemed uniquely pathetic to quit after only a month and a half. So we ended up going four times last week. All four times either the child care workers had to come get me because Ben's head was going to explode from all the screaming and they didn't want to be responsible for the cleaning bill, or he was crying when I picked him up. It was rather disconcerting, as I spent my work outs being paranoid that one of the women was going to walk through the door at any moment and pull me away. Not exactly relaxing.

This week has been much better, though. They haven't had to come get me once and apparently he hasn't been crying. The funny thing is that Ben is the reason I've been going so consistently. I wake up most mornings and just don't want to work out. However, I know that if I don't get Ben used to it, it'll be a nightmare on days I do want to go. So I make the effort to go - FOR HIM - and I'm always glad I did.

1 comment:

  1. Well, he gets his anxiety honestly. I remember Heath being dropped off at a daycare when Don was going to school at CU. The daycare worker said he cried the whole time. We didn't take him back.

    By the way, I love the hair cutting photo narrative.

    ReplyDelete