Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Comparisons

I suppose this is a problem all parents of two or more children have, but I'm having a tough time talking about Sam without comparing him to Ben. Sam dislikes wet diapers; Ben never minded. Sam hates the car seat and often screams on car trips; Ben always fell asleep. Sam weighs 12 lbs at two months; Ben weighed 16.

It's almost impossible not to compare. Ben's the only other infant I've had prolonged exposure to, so it feels natural to think about his milestones as Sam reaches them himself. I don't think any of it is judgemental, but it doesn't seem like a good habit. I don't see myself becoming the, "Why can't you be more like your brother?" mom, but you never exactly know what kind of parent you'll turn out to be.

Part of the reason it's so hard not to compare them is because I can already tell they're different. It's amazing to me that two kids from the same parents could be so different. Obviously I know it's true because my brothers and I are all different in significant ways. But it seems stranger when it's your own children. However, it's been so fun to watch the mix of Heath and me emerge in Ben. It'll be interesting to see what our second mixture is like.

But look at these pictures:

Ben at three months

Sam at almost three months

Same outfit, same chair, same withering stare. They look like brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment