Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Those Chinese have a sense of humor

On Sunday afternoon Ben and I visited our local Borders, which is a very dangerous activity. It's near impossible for me to leave a bookstore without a purchase (or several). I managed to talk myself out of Volume 2 of Neil Gaiman's graphic novel Sandman, since my birthday is coming up soon (*cough*), but I didn't leave the store empty handed. I bought What to Expect the Toddler Years. Huh? How do I suddenly have a toddler? A year ago he was still inside me and now he's a toddler?! He's not exactly toddling around yet. I think his record is 10 steps in a row and then a plop on the butt. But he's definitely not a baby. He's starting to understand what we say and sometimes he actually obeys us. We've been working on waving and just this morning when I said, "Ben, say bye to Daddy," he held up his hand toward Heath, which is his version of a wave. Heart melting moment.

Sunday evening we all went to P.F. Chang's for dinner and at the end of the meal our server brought us fortune cookies. The funny thing is that he brought three, so I guess one was for Ben. He was probably trying to butter up the parents for a better tip. Having an adorable child I'm now well-versed in how service people use your child to get to you. Going to the car dealerships with him just made me feel dirty. Anyway, Heath and I opened our fortune cookies and then I opened Ben's. Here is what our almost-toddler's first fortune was:

"Patience is a key to joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment